Thursday, January 16, 2014

Computers are now obsolete....

Are we run by computers now or are we being run by them? Are we not pins? Maybe we are all pinheads now. Is DEVO the new religion? How have we lost human contact so much via computer communication. Do you still read real life books? Will this page be saved one day for someone to discover? I think not. A real book has more chance of longer life. One day this interspace world will all be corrupted... I will be in my studio that day painting (or drawing) with real paints on real things. I used to talk to my co-workers at my job in an "in-house" (that means you drive to work at an office) art department about how many of them wanted to work from home. I told them they would miss joking and talking with people (really I was the one who would miss working with people). When the economy plunged so did the in-house art departments and like it or not it was sink or swim. I sat at home working towards what still knew (Graphic Design). I made my own clothing line and company (which thankfully never surfaced) on my computer at home called "Planet Sixty Seven". I got small jobs where I could (I have been making flyers for bands since the mid 80's) so I did some of that. I tried for many years to get comfortable with new technology. I tried to enjoy painting with Macs, but as fun as my job was I knew it was not my art to own. I wanted to get back to the fun part of art. Like when I drew army men and choppers in my room. I daydreamed (like I did as a kid in school) of what my shop of art would be like. What it would be like to let go again and just make art for fun with real life art tools. At my job they told me it would not work to make a grass roots D.I.Y. company (or in my dreams a shop). Sure I can still make logos and graphics, but while I was working I wanted to paint for real. I knew about Rick Griffin from record covers and guys like Ed Roth, Gary Panter, The Pizz, all from underground culture found at book shops and record stores I shopped at. Some people call it Kustom Culture...Whatever... I went to Rat Fink Reunion shows and these dudes were like rock stars! Whoa! What a concept! Well I kept painting and told my pals at work "We gotta paint for real!" (cue the cricket noise here...) My boss told me to think "surfwear" not hot rods, but I was hooked long ago. Time went on and a guy I worked with was showing at a Kustom Culture Gallery (it had kind of exploded into modern life by this time). Low and behold a real old pal I went to high school with owned it. He told me "get to work, why are you not in this show tonight?" So began my run at Gasoline Gallery and fine art. I grabbed at fame and fortune with both hands. My friend put me at the highest spot he could in his gallery and for a while I did really well in the scene, but it grew stale or is we called it when it was called Punk.... "Trendy". I changed things up, but as soon as I did someone else would trace what I did for a better spot on the bill. What can you do? I stopped showing at galleries (except for Gasoline) and wondered how I would get by and what to do next. I tried to get my interspace sites going (like this blog) but I still missed people. This interspace world creates isolation in body and mind. It is hollow and empty. I opened my own shop called "Aicher's Pop Kustom Shoppe" at Crafted (a craft market in town) not to be a billboard for them, but picture how many empty shops are in the future with no power to make things by hand! Right? I don't know if you read this thing unless you talk to me at my shop or meet me at the store or if it will be here years from now. I can say I found my mission for now, but change happens everyday. We have not been blown up yet and for the time being and interspace still works, so I will use it. Last week I faced the fact that I never was much good at Graphic Design and I may need to not worry about Graphics so much anymore anyhow. Someone asked me at my booth last week while I was working there "looks like a lot of work..." as she looked around my shop, and I said, "Nope, a lot of fun!" and it was that day. Someday someone with deep pockets may put me back in the real job world again, but that will be someday down the road when it comes. I am proud to paint what I feel. I have learned to take on jobs I believe in and say no (still working on that one a bit) when I need to) Some folks have taken notice too. I have built new friends and I am almost certain many of them will remain close for many years to come. I took up music to get over my shyness and help my mind expand and grow. I went on a mission to live longer and get healthier (which I can say now is going well... read about it in my past blogs) I learned to let go of the chase and (for now) I am in the groove. This bog may sound a bit egocentric, but it's not. I blog as an affermation. (like Stuart Smalley...good movie and guy, google it) because YOU matter (me too!) What happens when they bomb the art stores? I will make pigments from bodily fluid if I must, but for now.... let's not go there just yet. Dream it, then live it. I love you Scott... you are a good guy. Thanks Scott! Now get some sleep you handsome guy it's 11:30! The fun starts early in the A.M. tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment