Wednesday, October 8, 2014

We are the champions my friend....


When Freddy Mercury sang those words he meant it. The rest goes,"and well keep on fighting till the end" ....remember that? This week was a challenge for me in many ways. I ran into the old food "sabotage" a few times this week. That's where people offer you food to knock you off your path. Whether these folks' intentions were good or not the fact is I had to deal with it. Not like it won't happen again... So I delt with it. Usually I might run to retail therapy or start a new painting but this time it got in my head. Self doubt and depression set in and fuck that shit, so in case you want the story of why I have decided to turn my life around here it is. My knees started giving out and it was getting hard to stand. My doctor had just told me I was pre-diabetic and diabetes had recently killed an uncle of mine. My wife turned to me and asked me with fear in her eyes,"what if you have to be in a wheelchair and are too heavy for me to push" ....that's called shit got real. I made changes which helped a lost weight by going once a week to weight management classes and I talked. I talked a lot. Sometimes I made others in my class uncomfortable about discussing why I had problems with food, but like I said... This is it. Do it now. Last chance. Your life sucks or or life rules. Take your pick. I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings from my class, but this is my life and I only have one and it's mine. I still don't like exercise, but every time I take even the smallest steps I am always glad I did it. That doesn't mean a dicathalon... But if you start small by the time you know it you might want to try one. I'm not a sports guy. I have always been a cruiser not a competteter but I am not afraid of a challenge either. Last year I planned to ride my bike in the long beach marathon bike tour. The weather and life issues set me back and I did not train enough and was in no shape to even attempt it. I failed. Now my intention to to walk the Vincent Thomas bridge next year in the bridge walk. It's walking. Not as hard but still hard enough. It's five miles across. If I conquer it I will attempt long beach again. This week I am signing up for the excercise fitness class my health care plan offers. It is step one. I will make better choices this week and I will take no shit from jive turkeys. Make it happen. That is all for now. Be good to each other humans. See you on the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment