Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Tinkering project

Working on finishing up this long time project. I found this guitar at a flea market in town. It's a 1987 (I think?) Squire Bullet Strat. It was blue and beat up when I got it. I think I paid 20 bucks for it. The parts worked sort of but needed re-wired which was fine because I had to strip it all down to paint it anyway. I painted it with acrylic paint and 11 coats of krylon crystal clear coat I think... Maybe satin clear because it's kind of satin finish...anyway... I had it for sale for $800.00 in my shoppe for about a year or so. It got attention and a few close offers (I would have gone as low as 500) well I just decided to hang on to it. The paint job is an homage to the late H.R. Giger whom I have loved since Alien first hit theaters. (Did you know he also designed the batmoble for batman forever?) Today I tracked down the parts I need to finish this project.... Chrome pickup covers, switch knob and volume knobs. I also found some black mini tuners (I was looking for matte silver, but could only find locking ones and I just want basic tuners for this) picked up a batch of new stainless steel pick guard screws too. Now I just have to wait for the parts, in the mean time I got two new sets of extra slinkys from Alvas Music (they re-wired and did the full set up after I painted the thing too) I oiled the neck which had got a bit faded from all the sun at my shoppe. I used the oil my wife got me for my dry elbows, Aragon oil... It seemed to work just fine. I put on one of the slinky sets and cleaned off the dust from the warehouse (my shoppe is inside an old ww2 navy warehouse) I have been cleaning the studio and when it gets cooler I will plug it in to my Princeton (it's sold state, not tube, but someday I hope to upgrade to tube but it does the job for now) it's a low budge model but it's super light and very thin fast neck and the set up from Alvas was fantastic...the frets are still gleaming. When I get it all done I will try to add an update here. Keep on rockin in the free world!

No comments:

Post a Comment