Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Today is 11/12/13! So far... a pretty good year.


Celeste (who teaches with Sharon),Peter and daughter Ani stopped by the booth at Crafted again and Ani (being my best collector and client) bought a box I found at goodwill and painted up. It deals with transitioning to the next world (we all have to go some time). The Quote on the top is from a Psychedelic Furs song called "Heaven". It was emotionally tough to make and Ani just lost her grandpa so I am so glad she found it and took it home to be part of her collection. The diet is still going on. I passed my 100 pound weight loss mark a week or so ago and soon I transition back to eating food (that will mean 3 shakes a day and one meal for dinner). Going back to food is the hard part, but I think I am ready for it. I have a good class group and after this next class ends I will go on to the weight management class. I want to go all the way and not look back at were I was before. This is a life change for me. It's hard to keep focused sometimes, but my life is better now. I can walk better. I have more flexibility and mobility. I have much more confidence in myself and I care about myself and my life more. I feel I may have bought some more time. I was pre-diabetic and my knees were starting to go and I was looking at where I was going. It was going to be death or a very rough remaining life. Sharon said she would not be able to push me if I was so heavy in a wheelchair... was that where I was going? I helped my grandmother in her last days at her retirement home. She was stuck in her room all day watching TV and had to be taken care of. When I went to get her meals for her a lady who lived there asked me if I wanted to be her volleyball partner. I was in no shape to play volleyball with this much fitter and much older than me woman. Helping my grandmother was such hard work (physically) it was my first steps to a healthier life. I may not die young after all.... (not if I can prevent it) I have started a Bike riding club called The Streetriding Cheetahs with a blog page here: www.blogger.com/streetridingcheetahs so far my friend Keith (from Kool Corner at Crafted) and I are planning to start riding along Cabrillo Beach. I have not told him about the club yet, but I am sure he will join it. My plan is to ride the Long Beach Marathon this year (20 miles) on the Bike Tour. I hope to get out today on my bike for a bit. I am still taking baby steps to get back to bike riding. I always wear a DOT certified motorcycle helmet (cycling helmets wont cut it. They are just foam coolers.) Helmets ARE cool. I wear good shoes and gloves too. Another big part of getting my life going was getting my mind going. To do that I took guitar lessons for a long as I could. It was not always easy, but I stuck with it. Soon my memory improved. The weekly improvements I made gave my instant confidence. I made sure I had a great teacher too (The great Walter Martinez at Gray School of Music, San Pedro, CA.) He was tough at times, but very caring and supportive. I could not have started this path without the help of my mom Pat and step dad Charlie who gave me the opportunity to take lessons, get my bike, and take the classes I needed. I was afraid to ask for their help before and I am glad I asked now. I am very grateful for this life and to have my family and friends, but before they could help me I had to help myself first. I forgave myself for my past mistakes. I have learned to trust my loved ones more and worry less about what I can not change.

No comments:

Post a Comment