Tuesday, December 2, 2014

My best Christmas toy


I think it was Christmas 1974. I had unwrapped all my presents. I had the snoopy toothbrush which my sister and I would share (it had 2 brushes one yellow and one red, I think my brush was yellow). I remember getting a watch with a space capsule on the fast hand that circled the moon on the face. I got LA Rams pajamas I circled in the Sears catalog and a big batch of Lego bricks my folks got in bulk wholesale (that's what I was told, it was a lot of bricks and I was worried they cost too much because the small sets at toys r us were pricey). The one thing I really wanted was what all the kids on the block wanted. The thing we saw in comic book ads: the Evel Kennevil stunt cycle. I did not see it. Everyone was done and it was over. I started to get bummed out but I was still happy with the loot I got. My dad said,"I think you missed one" and you know the deal... It was stashed in the corner. I took it down the block to my pal Danny's and he got the scramble van and we set up the ramp and jumped evel over that van and the neighborhood cats, tin cans, or whatever else we could find. His family also got rock em sock em robots which broke in the first 10 minutes. I think we busted part of Evel too. Then we built ramps with two by fours and bricks and jumped them on our bikes. We pulverized our toys mostly. Maybe one day they will make a good repro stunt cycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment