Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Black Santa


This week the topic seems to be is Santa black or white, brown, pink, etc... I painted a santa card this year. I listen to James Brown's Santa's got a brand new bag cd and Ray Charles Christmas cd most years so maybe for me he is black. I painted a suntanned (California style) Santa. Most folks thought he was black. I can go with that. TV wants you to worry about things that don't matter. Like Miley Cirus. That girl might be a mess. She might be making money for being a mess. Do you care? We do because she is human. We make mistakes. Calling someone fat is now a big deal (on TV). Do we change the word fat on food labels? Bullies are bullies for a reason. Many folks have anger, depression and fear it's all a matter of what you make of these feelings. Depression will kill you fast. Most fat people are not weak they have depression usually. It's good not to teach hate. It's great to teach caring for others. It's o.k. if you feel angry. The important thing is communication. Through therapy I have explored the reasons of my fears and depression. It was like ripping a band aid off a cut. It took a long time to start healing (I think it's healing...) Life is never perfect. As humans we strive for perfection, but our beauty is often in our flaws. I have taken some small steps into getting healthier. Now they are big strides to a better life. I want to embrace this new life. I celebrate this better health rather than the actual pounds lost. Sure I am happier. Not because thin folks except me better... because I physically feel better. Because I am healthier. I may live longer and because of that grew self confidence and I celebrate my new health. I see on TV folks showing faked encouragement for fat people and challenged folks. They seems so uncomfortable showing support for them probably because they truly feel (or have been taught) that different is "Weird" or wrong.  I watched a TV talk show today where this girl had been bullied so much her mom was taking her out of school to home school her. Then the folks at the show gave her toys and a cruise? What about finding her a new school or a college fund? I decided to turn off the TV and blog. Now I am thinking I should ride my bike for a bit. My Santa is all the colors of the rainbow, but don't worry if yours is not. In case you are wondering, my bike is green... and it aint easy being green. Life is funny, so laugh at it. Forgive yourself for farting in the supermarket. Take it easy!

1 comment:

  1. Right on Scott! Everybody's got problems and flaws, some are just more visible than others.

    ReplyDelete