Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Change is good sometimes

 


Listening to this cd. This one is great and worthy of a vinyl release. Had a very close friend tell me I lost my passion and how I felt, and what I need to defend and speak up for. Said I’m too nice. Here’s what I got. I love my friends. Especially when they check on me and my well being. I know we all have bad days. I was pretty passionate for awhile about starting a band. I asked some friends that had bands and I was older than them and pretty embarrassed to play guitar in front of anyone. My first attempt was in junior high. We had two practices in my parents garage. One guy went on to a long career managing some famous bands. I took guitar lessons and mostly learned basics from that time. I did not play much for a long time but I loved learning about music gear and loved rock and roll. 

The next attempt years later I met some friends at their house and they were good musicians. They sort of threw me in the deep end and hollered at me to just keep playing. I get what they were trying to teach me but this was too intense for me. 

Third try…made some friends with and had coffee a few times with those young guys I told you about.
This was different. These guys had a studio with a huge fender amp. I had got myself a really good Gibson and a fender telecaster. These guys were not only good but gentle with me and said just let them know what I wanted to play and everyone makes clams (bad notes) at first and just keep going. We recorded them too to good equipment. They knew how to record. I’m not sure if they made the recording sound better later or not. I got to use both of my good guitars as we did two songs. One I wrote about being large like Godzilla …how it feels to be my size. The other was a big star/teenage fan club attempt. Both were instrumentals. I was so heavy at the time and it was summer in a hot studio. I almost had a coronary. I kept going and we finished both songs. I was going to add vocals later but that was too much for me.

I was not confident about my playing but it was one of the best things I ever tried. Before I did all this I went back to taking lessons again too. It gave me much needed discipline and a routine. My friends were concerned about how bad my health was and said they wanted to help me. We went on some walks together around town. 

I was very passionate about this band thing but I was already an artist. I started drawing dozens of band logos for this band, my friends got busy and did not have time for it and suggested I find other people to play with. I’m grateful they gave me that opportunity. 

After all of this I realized I enjoyed playing guitar by myself alone or playing for my dog who loves the sound of Spanish acoustic guitar. It took about 20 years to realize art is what I do. I play guitar now and then. Most of my friends have moved on and don’t have time to get together. It’s part of life. Change can be good. You don’t always win. 

I’m still passionate about art and music and I have a better respect for both. I have to pat myself on the back for overcoming my fear and trying more than once and in the end feeling good that I made the effort. 
You can hear these songs on my website. That’s me on guitar as Godzilla. The song is called Monster X takes Tokyo. I love it. I’m proud of it. I love my friends for believing in me.

Painting is fun. Guitars are fun. I love to listen to music and make art. Simple as that. My wife has be very patient with me and all my dreaming and gives me encouragement to keep trying things. She listens to my wild rants and reads my journaling and lets me be myself. She is the biggest part of my life. We have been through many changes. The current path so far has been healing and my health is improving. Somedays I am amazed how much more my love grows for her and how much she does for me. I am fortunate and grateful to have her and my dog here with me each day as well as the friends I have and family. I’m kind of hurt by what my friend said to me today in a text, but we aren’t all the same and we might think we know people sometimes when we might not. 
 
I like to laugh. I’m kind of sensitive. I try to learn from things. Most people might think I’m a nice guy. I don’t like to swear, I don’t drink anymore. This is me. I yam what I yam. Hope you all have the kind of day you want from life today. I’m going to get a fresh cup of coffee and dig though my collection to see what I got still or what I might have forgot about. Happy trails, god bless you and enjoy! Adios for now, Scoocher

No comments:

Post a Comment