Saturday, January 4, 2014

The lesson I learned.

Rawl and Paloma visiting me at my shop and checking out the MC5 tribute guitar.
I first met Rawl Power when he was about 10. He and his mom often shopped at Peanut Records where I worked and drew flyers for bands at the sales counter. He picked up a flyer I drew and he asked me to sign it. I did not know what to do. I was the first time I ever signed an autograph. I signed it for him and he told me he had other flyers of mine saved up. Years later I was still making flyers and did not know he had taken up drumming. His first band Killer Dreamer was a great original sounding local band. Kid Kevin also played in that band whom I would meet and be friends with later too. I had gone to see Killer Dreamer and started doing flyers for them. I was kind of envious of them because I wanted to have a band too, but I was (and still am most days) really shy and pretty unsure about my guitar playing and just playing music at all. They said we should jam sometime and we finally did. I was really out of shape but I did my best to keep up and they really stood by me. I was glad I stepped out of my self doubt and tried it. It was the first steps out of a very long depression. We had coffee now and then and became friends. I got to know Kevin's girl Larry (They played at her place a few times) and Rawl's girl Paloma who played in Bombon (and still does) who also were influential for me in trying to play music. The inspiration was what got me to try again. I mean try living again. Even though it was not in our budget I started guitar lessons. The last time I took them was when was 13 years old, I felt really old to be taking lessons but I had Walter Martinez (he's much younger than me too) at Gray school of music in San Pedro who also was a great listener as well as an instructor. He also gave me self confidence and discipline. Along the way mind mind began to heal a bit. My focus slowly turned to self improvement but I was not even aware. My doctor diagnosed me with Pre-diabectic and my knees were starting to give out. I did not want to start this diet I was on again because I had done it before, but I tried it again because it worked before. Well, it was different this time. I met new friends in class. It was all about small steps. Rawl also plays with Mike Watt and the Missingmen (one of my favorite bands) Mike usually closes his show by saying "start your own band". It may have saved my life. I can get around much easier now. I breathe better. My knees are great and I even learned to love myself. My friends I made along the way gave me hope, confidence, love and encouragement. I took small steps and I am still going and still learning from people who keep my mind open and help me heal my heart. A good way to start small steps is make a bucket list and take the first steps to get there. I am glad I forgave myself for my past and I am very thankful for my friends who saved me. You never know who might help you out someday. Live and learn....and don't bogart the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment