Sunday, January 26, 2014

Redline Fever and how to swing a wonderful life


I collect red line hot wheels. They were made from 1967 to 1973 (and some more until about 1975) They are called red lines because they have a red line around the tire. Some can be real valuable. I started collecting them when I guy I worked with brought some in to show me and said, "Ever think about collecting these?" I said yes and he started to bring 6 or 7 a week on payday. I was hooked. At my next job I talked to another guy who collected viking coins and he said, "I got a whole bag of them at home and I want enough for a viking coin I am looking to buy" I did not think he would have the right year, but he did, and it was a whole shopping bag full. He told me he had already recycled the track. Other folks from work brought old Matchbox cars and I bought some of them too. Most collectors want them mint condish... but I like them to have a bit of played with look to them, and really I have a good memory of almost every time I found or bought them. Today (1-25-14 Saturday) at work (Aicher's Pop Kustom Shoppe at Crafted, 110 22nd Street, Warehouse 10, San Pedro, CA 90731) A fellow shop girl and friend Tony came by and shared his amazing survival story with me. He saw some cars I had in my booth and told me he would bring hers in. He told me he might be ready to sell them and we made a deal. I don't really collect lots of things now, but I am really grateful to have these cars of Tonys. He has taught me so much to be myself and brought me so much inspiration and helped boost my self esteem. I painted a bottle to mark this day that had 2 of the cars on it. It says "Tony is Gold." I am glad she is in this world and I got to know Tony. I am pretty lucky lately. I have been getting positive love from all over lately which I will not Bogart! Share the love. Good deeds get rewarded. These cars found me. This day I will remember. Sharon, me and our family are really sad about losing our dog Coco. Today helped ease the pain a bit. People have been very kind when hearing the news. She was a really neat girl and I miss her morning kisses. I have been visiting my aunt Doris Nelson too (she is in her mid 90's now) I will blog more on her very soon. She was a professor at Long Beach State who loved teaching English and writing poetry and is a big political activist. She has just found out about Mandela's passing and she told me he was the most important man of this time we are now in. A girl from work today gave me a sticker of Mandela by activist artist Robbie Conal today which was another sign someone is looking out for me. She is friends with Robbie and is going to get a Mandela poster for me which I will put up at Doris's place. I love you Doris! I have been keeping busy working (Illustrating) on a new book with Jack Grisham from True Sounds of Liberty (TSOL) an infamous OC punk band and it is going to be really cool when it gets done (almost there) Small steps before you can run, right? Like Iggy said, "Here comes success... Hooray success!" and like James Brown I am on the goodfoot! My beautiful wife has a special birthday on the way too. I do it all for her...she is amazing. She has given me so much (like today she gave me a Kureg coffee machine for my shop... it's HER birthday and I get the present... that's what I mean... she's awesome!) and I owe her the moon. One day I will lasso it for her. I will add photos of the Tony cars here tomorrow... sweet dreams!







No comments:

Post a Comment