Wednesday, April 13, 2022

#vinylcommunity What is my most sought after record?

 




Ever thought as you were collecting what your most desired record would be? The one that got me searching the most was the Descendents “Fat” ep 7” on new alliance records. New alliance was D.Boon of the Minutemen’s label. I had Milo goes to college on New Alliance that I got when it came out but this was an earlier release. I found the “Ride the wild” ep because I worked at a record store down the block from Descendents central headquarters in the 90’s and they stopped in there often and left copies of that now and then but not the Fat ep. At that time they had reissued both eps on one. I got that SST real ease when that came out. Technically I owned both by having that. I remember way before getting that reissue being at a party where a og fat copy was sitting out and I had my backpack and I got tempted to swipe it but in the end I didn’t. I’m glad I made the right choice. That party was a good memory for me. Actually it was a whole weekend party and they played the first Van Halen album over and over and we ate leftover empanadas from a wedding that took place at the same time. I had not eaten much of anything that weekend and those mini meat pies were so good. That VH album was sound great too. I got to go trough the record collection there because they trusted me and they even introduced me to music I never new about like the Lee and Nancy album. I remember spinning records from that couples collection like “don’t fear the reaper” by BOC. So years have gone by and now we have Discogs and I see it there now and then. I saw it not long ago on a #vinylcommunity video and tried to buy it but it sold too fast. Going though my own collection yesterday I began to find records I had forgot about. I found the Saints “I’m stranded” lp I bought years ago and today I heard the singer just passed away. Pretty wild. It got me wondering what I have in my collection still. We just moved so it’s all out of order and jumbled together. It’s all safely stored on the shelves though. I wonder if I still have that “bonus fat” lp? Might be in there. Some of my collection walked away by itself long ago too. I’m also thinking which one is the true copy for me? If I was to get a copy of an og fat ep I would probably look at it and think “this was someone else’s record” and it would remind me of my own greed and bad intentions. It would never be as cool as the reissue I got back then because that was mine. It’s what I had then. Which is why I’m glad I hung on to all my records over the years. Even during cd times I kept them. Attached here are images of those records from the internet. I still am digging to see if I still have that lp. If not, I had that time. I have those memories. I got to have conversations with the guys in the Descendents and even ate at the original Alfredo’s with Karl and Dave Smalley (it was located right on the side of were our record store was…) I remember when every All album came out. We put up posters in the store and had lots of Descendents shirts on the racks. Lunch at the record store was usually coffee and donuts from Winchell’s next door. Descendents wrote songs there too sometimes I think. I remember all the metal kids that wanted there kerrang magazines and carcass earache records. Getting Nirvana Bleach when it came in on import cd which I still have. I remember how much I loved them from what I had heard and having a full album by them was so good. We played it so loud in the shop that first day I had to go outside to get air.
It shook the walls of the bar next door and they weren’t too cool with all the punks that shopped at our record store because of the green and blue hair. (Not a big deal now, but then it got you in fights). I also remember Winchells Cheesecake muffins. I had one every weekend I worked there in the morning. Lots of good memories of that time. I was young and just got my first apartment. Steve the owner (rest in peace) helped me and taught me a lot. I’m grateful for having that time and getting to work with the people there and my friends I made. Much of my record collection is from that shop and that time. Some people call their most sought after record a “grail”, but that’s actually a goblet as you all know. I’m grateful someone gave me a job and a chance. Maybe later this week I will dig through my records again.
Discover what I forgot I had and hopefully learn to not take things for granted. I don’t have donuts anymore but I still love a good cup of coffee. Thanks for your interest and for reading if you got this far. Happy Trails and God Bless You, Scoocher

No comments:

Post a Comment