Saturday, July 23, 2022

Life is a bowl of Cherries!


…and sometimes it’s the pits! Today was a real bowl full.
We hung up some pictures I drew for my grandparents in 1979 for Christmas that year. 

Renamed my studio and made a sign for the inner archway. Hung it just above the door frame. 

The sign is 6”x24” did this stretched canvas up with paint markers then coated with acrylic clear gloss varnish.

Listened to the Buckingham Nicks album as I painted it on my Victrola all in one player. Not sure if my copy of this is all that mint but it sounds great. They say not to play good records on these ceramic needle equipped players, but this is how I love hearing my records best… out of these not so high quality speakers and all. Sounds more soulful to me.

I do have a bit better stereo too. It is older. I bought each component as I could afford them starting in about 1988 to the mid 90’s. 
It’s solid state I think. The Ion turntable my Mom got me for my birthday at Costco maybe in the year 2000?
She wanted me to plug it into my computer and record my grandfather’s old 78’s. I had an interface box for my computer I hooked up to do that.
Tried recording some 45’s my uncle gave me and that worked but never figured out how to get the 78’s to record.

My new Victrola has 78 so sometimes I play grandpa’s records now. Best for a rainy day. I never met him in person. He died just after returning from world war 2 from cancer.

He was on a ship that capsized. He had swallowed a lot of fuel and oil in the water like most of the others that went overboard. I would guess this created his cancer.

Our family went through his records after my grandmother passed away. My aunts and uncles did not seem to want to take many of them (or any that I know). I looked through them and picked ones that sounded fun. My mom may have thrown all of them in my stack later… I’m not sure. 

People always gave me records most of my life. I kept pretty much all of them over the years. Moved them from apartments and houses. My wife was not to happy to have to help me with them every time we moved.

The best records have almost always been ones I found cheap or that were passed on to me. I have really no idea what’s actually in my collection. Some are certainly rare. Many are positively not. Most are sentimental in some way.

The ritual of playing records can be a lot of work to get the actual fun and enjoyment out of. You got to flip them. Clean them. Put plastic sleeves on. Keep the dust off.

All worth it.

Hope you all are making the effort to find the joy and value of life and appreciate the gift of each day given.

Thank You God for this day. God Bless You All
Thank You for Reading, Happy Trails,
-Scoocher

 

No comments:

Post a Comment