Thursday, July 28, 2022

Texas Bluebonnets

 




Just thinking to myself…have I actually seen with my own eyes a wild growing Texas Bluebonnets  Flower? Pretty sure I have seen photos of them and they are know to be where I am but have I noticed them if I saw them? Did my wife already point them out to me and I was too busy day dreaming to hear her? I gotta ask her to point them out next time we are roaming our neighborhood.

Watched Steve Carlson’s YouTubes show today and he made me laugh out loud. He was at his park having fun playing a game called frisbee golf with very expensive records from how it looked. Got me thinking it has been awhile since I played guitar. Even longer since I have played my Mexican Made Genuine Fender Telecaster. So today I’d like to talk about my Tele.

It was a really big deal for me to get an actual Fender Telecaster with a real Fender logo on the headstock. I went on a sad rainy day years ago on my birthday to trade in some Guitars at Norm’s Rare Guitars. I had almost no money in my pocket and a couple of guitars to trade. One that I had was mint and now kind of rare and vintage but not that valuable just yet. I went in and talked to the staff and they were not really interested in my trade offerings but then Norm himself walked in. 

I told him my sad story that day and bad news I got that day that my sister was not well. (Happy to say she is doing just fine now today). I was sacred and in this moment in time I was losing faith and holding on to my hopes. I told him, this guitar I have with me is mint but if I play it, it will lose it’s value. I’m looking for something I can play.

I wanted a Genuine Fender Telecaster. I had a few Squiers which I still have and love but I was searching for the one this time. Searching for one that had mojo. He stayed with me most of the day and showed me a Mexican Made model that was in my price range. It was an FSR which I think means “Fender Special Release”. You knew that by the oval sticker on the back headstock. 

I played the American made in USA and it was very nice. You could notice the quality as Norm pointed out. If I had to wait and save and get it later it would have been worth it for sure, but it was too much guitar for me. I would have left it in the case like the trade in guitar.

I wanted to start a band and record a song too. It needed to sound good. I was looking specifically for Pete Townsend, Waylon Jennings and Chrissy Hynde. Let’s not forget Joe Strummer and D.Boon.

It needed to have rocket sauce as well as twangle jangle. She was perfect. I named her after my sister. Went back to taking lessons (this was what you call mid life for me).

Talked to some friends who knew how to get it done and we recorded two songs. It took time. My friends almost literally help me keep standing and going and never let me stop. Could not have got there alone. 

Forward to today. I had let myself slide for awhile. Got unhealthy with my weight again which led to all those things doctor warn chunky dudes about. Knees go. Joints freeze up. Aches, all that kind of action was beginning. 

Last time I said was last time so this time I just finally said to myself, “get a good doctor and pay attention”. Just did what he suggested. When he told me his recommendation worked for his wife that gave me so much hope. God Bless My Doctor!

Sometime this month I was putting together my new art room studio and took out my guitars. Got some wall hangers for them and eventually got back to this guitar I named after my sister. It was just as it was when I got it. I decided it was time for a name change and a new pickguard identity. I did all that but hung it back up and did not really even play it.

After getting a good laugh and seeing Steve’s video today I took it off the wall. Checked out my cable chords I had left. One is cloth wrapped and looks cool but plugged it in and noting. I had my Fender Princeton plugged in (for you guitar fanatics it’s solid state not luxury tube amp, but I’m still dreaming about one someday).

I love this amp. I got it from the paper want ads went to a dudes house and bought it for I think 100 bucks. Always wanted a Princeton since I started when I was about 13 years old. Still love my amp.

Plugged in the more standard traditional heavy duty regular cable I had and went to town. Was good to feel the satin neck finish and tickle the fret board. Bend some notes. Muffle some picking, adjust some amp settings, dial the tone knobs.

I played some sloppy jarrbled patterns and tried some chord progressions. Tried remembering some old songs I would warm up with. Played some Nausea by the Band X. Some Germs Shutdown (is that song originally by the band F-Word? I saw Rik L. Rik before at “Fender’s” club in Long Beach way back. This is turning into a Fender promo now…)

The body is ash. Which is has a transparent wood finish that is super glossy and bright. The neck is more satin which feels really nice and it’s thinner so it easy for me to play. The frets are polished nice and no sharp points on them to slow me down. The strings really ring out on it. Plugged in makes gives it the groove and I love just hearing the amp hiss.

Am I the only one that thinks too much about wasting electricity when my amp is on? I kind of feel like when it’s on the meter is running so start after it.

My guitar strap I got in San Pedro at a music store called Alva’s Music. I’m wondering how Art who worked there now is doing. He used to work on my guitar projects I brought in at times. I have a few of those still and one day I will talk about them too.

My strap is by a company called Souldier. It’s kind of rainbow colored psychedelic flower shapes. They make straps out of old repurposed car seatbelt materials I think they are a small USA business still. They had lots to choose from at Alva’s. Those old seat belts bring me back to the 70’s. The top is kind of yarn stitch cottony soft fabric so you can easily stick on button badges. Left mine blank for now. Hey, just remembered I got an Amoeba records die cast pin I could stick on there today….

I ordered a hat from Norms online recently and got that this week in the mail. Got it to wear to my fitness class to keep my hair back. It had stickers and a pick included so I got picking. Norm himself is recovering from a health issue now and is doing great. A reminder to me to not let fun get away from me so much.

So, today right now… for those about to rock…

Salude! -Scoocher 

No comments:

Post a Comment