Friday, July 29, 2022

My favorite rock group…

 


It’s almost over. Might not end just yet or ever for the rock group Kiss, but I’m going to move on after being a fan for what seems like 100,000 years. The reunion was a dream come true to see them two different nights at the L.A.Forum in 1996. The excitement of standing in line to get a wrist band to get a spot in line to buy tickets at the now online Tower Records in store ticket booth was something I will remember and one of the longest waits in line in my life but what a day to be alive that was. Tupac now gone with the incredible news at that award show. I’ll never forget that. He shocked the people.

Then was the Farewell in 2000. Ace famously almost missed my show in Devore which was one long drive for me in the dark on my own to get to with only a Thomas guide map. I thought it was much closer than it turned out to be. Missed Skid Row but no Gill (singer Sebastian Bach starred as Gill on Gilmore Girls later. My wife and I just loved that show).
Listened to Ted Nugent in line at the merch stand and watched people getting their faces airbrushed with makeup like the band. They had some kind of wetsuit material template and just like that you got the demon face deal on.
It was like watching the Lone Ranger put on his mask or meeting the great OZ.

A chopper overhead flew in the real spaceman but the current spaceman was prepped and ready. This was the famous laser pointer show. Paul Stanley warned us all not to go to rock shows put on by your neighbor in a tshirt and jeans. This was not getting what you paid for he said something like that. Also he described his love of Lazer pointers to the fan with one and where he might keep it after use. Lucky for me I got one last goodbye that night with my favorite band. The parking lot was on a big grass hill. Very sketchy crowd. One big dude decide to check out my tour book I bought. He insisted. I ran down the hill to my car with my precious souvenir fast as my feet allowed and drove home in my all too tiny super sweet T top roofed Nissan Pulsar. Spaceman silver with burgundy interior. I had to duck my head down to drive it like I did every morning down the 710 freeway to beautiful Vernon CA to work. Just up the street from old farmer John’s place and the sweet smell of the burn off waste getting processed. Again, it was a great time to be alive. I think I put piece of confetti in my Fonzie jacket pocket which might still be there.

We will most possibly never get a new Kiss Record with all new songs ever again. Fake Frehley as Tommy is called says he may just make wine. Sounds like a nice ride into the sunset to me. Catman Two as they sometimes call Eric Singer seems ready to take a “pawse” lately too. Both are just sensational players who are so good they make it look easy to just step in the costume and do the job and I respect that they both do just that almost too perfect. I always paid such attention to the costumes and makeup. In the 70’s it could get sloppy here and their but if it ever got too perfect it usually meant a change of some kind on the way.
It looks better than ever currently. 

Everything will end one day in some way or another. I’m an Ace and Peter kind of fan. I loved Eric Carr and his thunder drums. Paul Stanley the best ever frontman and fellow painter, kept his story of being bullied for most of the journey.
I never new the whole time about his struggle. It explained a lot about what kept him going all along.
Gene the demon? Or Gene the business man? Comic book and film nerd? What a bass player! Ever notice as he’s doing all that slap stick he’s right there in the pocket groove on bass even now. His love for his mom is really who he is in reality.
Vinnie who? I got that pink promo 45 single still someplace and I bought it because it made me laugh out loud in truth. I know he has real fans and many. I’m not really that into his songs he wrote either truthfully. They seem kind of doomy and more understandingly metal. Fair enough. The Tupperware thing tho. Ya know? He had his big moment this year. Undeniably epic but not my style. 
Bruce Kulick and His brother Bob. A great human above everything else. Still as good as ever. Still holds it down today. His band of any will be the new emperors to the black diamond crown. I love his wife Lisa. She and Bruce are a good team. Rest In Peace Bob Kulick. I don’t need to know what happened. Just seemed like such a loss of a guy who seemed to enjoy life. Too young. Eric Carr was too young too. Always looked like those rain puddles in that video were a river of tears of some kind.
I got my Kiss lunchbox signed by Ace in person at amoeba records. Still on my shelf now. Never met Peter but my friend got his autograph for me when he came into the pharmacy she worked at. Still have it in a frame with my Paul autograph our stewardess neighbor got me as a kid on American Airlines stationery. I think they both have my name and rock and roll! On them. Got Peter’s two pennies in change too with it. My friend my have just created the Pete one and gave me two pennies, probably never know for sure. Looks really correct. If it is fake all this time…it’s always something they did for me to show they cared. Not sure where she is now but hopefully the stars are overhead.

Stood in a tradeshow line at a show my work sent me to where Gene was singing his first book which was brand new.
We all waited for his girls to get off his lap in line. Took a long time. I was very tired when it was my turn but I brought my book up like a baby seal greeting a poacher with a wood club. I was almost drooling uncontrollably with fanboy weirdness. I think I said “I have been a fan for so long now.” And no fooling he signed my book and mouthed the words without actually speaking “thank you”. I shoved my book signed in black maker on the dark cover art and later when my boss asked to see it the sweat off my back through my backpack had smeared it all. If I was not humiliated enough my boss laughed and grinned for the rest of my days at that job and never let me forget that book which I probably still have but I’m not going to go looking for it.

They still owe fans money for the Dubai thing today too.

I’m going to remember the journey. Almost forgot Mark St.John like I think we are supposed to…he was there and on the cover of animalized and posters. He counted. I heard part of his story and it’s sad how he passed. Too bad he did not find a sober life. He added some sparkle to their image at the time and had that hair look of the moment which is what I figure he was there for. Rest In Peace Mark St.John.

As for Ace Frehley…my dad wanted to be my hero when I was a young Kiss fan. He saw his poster on my bedroom door with the smoking guitar. (Wonder if that’s why I tried smoking later on?)  dad smoked too. He said to me “you know those guys are my age. What if that was me up there as your hero? I told him he was my hero and he said “yeah, sure..”. So Ace is still going today and I still enjoy his music and he still says another record might happen. I explained to my dad that day he was like his Elvis and John Wayne.

I got one of those tell all books about Ace. Might not read it.
Why should I? Ever hear too much about Curt Cobain? Its entertainment and show biz. Like wrestling and politics. 
Still, might be better than reading about a Kardashian.
If a read it after all hopefully I’m not going to judge some guy in a space suit for taking my allowance all these years.
I got to take some of the blame here. You think they will ever sell an actual smoking guitar someday or saxaphone necklace with a kiss logo on it? The question is: would you Dubai it?

Goodbye is only for now rock soldiers of the Kiss Army.
We are all worth far more than a deuce.
Let’s rock and roll some night and partly every day.
Christeen is now 60.
My old wooden platforms turned to memory foam.
The flaming youth have a rotten tooth and lost their spark.

I got some new shoes. Not dragon platforms. Not actually good looking. Gray. No heel because my swollen foot barely fits and they are extra wide. But they have good cushion. Gets me shuffling. I like them. I could actually use a Kiss metal rocker(ing) chair right now the most for my porch. Call Doc Magee somebody.

I still have Kiss Records on the way soon.
Once a hooligan now a fool again.

Am I ever going to stop?
Thanks, Scoocher



No comments:

Post a Comment